Back to School Time
How can it be ‘back to school” time already? By now you have probably shopped during the tax free time for supplies and have hopefully taken a day or more to decompress and relax during these lazy days of summer. Summer is also when some projects are planned and meant to be completed, but either way time has passed and now it’s crunch time.
It’s a fact that life is fast and everyone is working more and making less and everything is a click away. Getting stuff may not solve problems, but some say it can make you feel better. In reality this is not true, because the more stuff you have makes it harder to be productive in the daily routine of life. Choosing experiences over things could help in reducing the clutter.
Why not take a walk, spend time with friends, read or journal next time you are compelled to hit click.
In the SpareFoot.com (the largest storage marketplace) back to the grind survey, 45% of Americans believe fall months are the best time to get organized. They also reported that in less than two weeks after tidying up for school 55% of Americans feel disorganized again. 80% say it takes about five to ten minutes longer to get ready in the morning once school starts.
The following are some tips for staying organized and on time for the fall schedule:
1. Post a daily routine in a central location for homework, reading and bedtime
2. Set up and make breakfast and lunch the night before whenever possible
3. Label boxes, bins and your time, so that daily to-do lists work
4. Clean as you go
5. Make space for daily items i.e. lunch boxes, shoes and backpacks
6. Consider a parents’ bin or cubby for paperwork, $ for books, info for nurse, sports, music, art or any other required items to be returned to school
7. Go to bed gradually earlier each night of the week before school starts to prepare for the early morning grind
8. Set a timer each day for 15-20 min to keep up with mail and a once over throughout the house to keep clutter under control
I wish you a smooth transition as summer comes to a close.